Saturday, March 29, 2008

"What Happens to a Dream Deferred?"

Without our dreams, we are absolutely nothing.


I was thinking about this on a long-ass drive I recently took during yet another snowstorm...and I came to the conclusion that I have had many dreams in my life and while many of them failed to come true, some actually did.

Here’s what I dream now...

I have a dream that it might be possible, (with perservereance and more than a little luck), to make someone else’s dreams come true, someone I think of as being pretty fantastic...and in a way, I have to say that’s almost better than a selfish dream... (Ironically enough, this same person recently commented, and probably rightly so..."You are the most obnoxious person I know, you are the only person who can actually annoy ME!")

Yes, I realize that I’m the Pirate Queen and therefore have no emotions or social skills. It is also true that I have no friends or loved ones and will most likely die alone...another crazy cat lady with a bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a shotgun in the other. In fact, I have been told, "Aikens, it would take an ice pick to the heart to make you cry."

All true.

But still... even an evil Mimi/Rosie O’Donnell lookalike like me does have people she actually cares about. Hard to believe...but still true.

And to everyone/anyone reading this... I hope your dreams come true as well.

(Unless of course your dream is to dethrone me once I rule the world with my iron fist in an iron glove...heh heh). In which case, I will preside over your slow and painful death with a song in my heart and a smile on my hideously ugly face...


OH, and of course...thank you Langston Hughes...you were, are and will always be...THA MAN.

"A Dream Deferred"

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

-Langston Hughes (Harlem Renaissance Poet)

No comments:

Yup... you guessed it...some random person I'm putting up a picture of...no relation to me at all

Yup... you guessed it...some random person I'm putting up a picture of...no relation to me at all
Okay fine. It's me.